home page
FAQ Profile
Search Members
Groups

PM's

Register Login/Out
Forum Index  
Why is the station being transfered to the college?
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

WCNI Radio > WCNI - 90.9FM

Author Thread
netjen

Why is the station being transfered to the college?  Reply with quote  

I'm just reading about the transfer of licence from CCBA to the college...what happened?
Post Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:52 am
netjen

I think it is pretty sad that this is happening. One of the things that were so special about WCNI was that the college didn’t control it. During my 4 years with the station, there were a number of times we came into conflict with the college administration. The station's status allowed us to work WITH the college but not FOR the college and, in my view, protected the integrity of WCNI from the often-unfortunate agenda of CC.

Will this charter be shared via this website? In particular, I would like to see language about how marathon gifts will be treated by the college as part of the overall fundraising effort. Will WCNI gifts be incorporated into general student funds and then allocated in part or full as part of the student activities budget process?

Suggesting that students will still be responsible for programming is naive. They will be only to the extent that they are allowed, and with the current climate at the FCC, I think control by the college will be felt quickly. I'm sorry that the responsibility to run the station properly and manage the finances proved to difficult. It really isn't that hard.

Oh well. Good luck.

Jennifer Leimgruber
WCNI 1986-1990

"In the new proposal, a non-stock, non-profit corporation called Connecticut College Community Radio (CCCR) would be established and would be governed by a Board of Directors comprising five college employees. The directors will ensure strong oversight of WCNI?s operations and finances, and full compliance with all state and federal regulations. This new structure will relieve students of legal responsibilities while allowing them to continue to gain the educational experience that comes with participating in running a radio station. A student broadcasting club will continue to be responsible for the station?s day-to-day operations and programming, and the current practice of allowing community members to join the student organization ? and serve as disc jockeys and volunteers ? will be continued and encouraged.
Post Mon Jul 25, 2005 9:05 am