Register Login/Out
Forum Index  
media
Last Thread | Next Thread  >

WCNI Radio > WCNI - 90.9FM

Author Thread
ONLYONE J

media  Reply with quote  

Cool I have a piece that will be in the New London Day tommorow(thurs 16th march) regarding changes in media with a nod to www.downhillbattle.org.
My company ctdjcompany.com is about to become very active with this topic.
If you would like to contribute email me or goto the battle site.-peace
Post Wed Mar 16, 2005 1:55 pm
Streed_303

digital media  Reply with quote  

Does that mean you will be a live laptop dj? Or, are you going to push things and play found tracks that one wouldn't play in an average setting?

But, this download thing is definately changing the landscape. Look at the artist Kelli Ali (as mentioned in a recent post in "All things Electronic". She was a vocalist in a VERY popular band (Sneaker Pimps) and is on a prominent label (One Little Indian - sharing the spotlight with the likes of Bjork). However, her bio is pretty thin on there. When you go to her personal site, you get more information (along with a link to the label). But, also, there is a link to iTunes to download tracks! I've seen many artist's page with this feature. On another site, I've seen a particular label put their back catalog up on iTunes. I guess it was cheaper than repressing and would make the material available to more people.

www.kelliali.com

Also, we live in a time were it is so much easier to record and release your own music. With the Fostex and Tascam portasutdios; recording software such as Logic; and the ability to burn music CDs right from your desktop; the process is much closer to home. Oh, and we cant forget companies like Discmakers where they will manufacture 1000 copies of your own CD for around $900...

www.discmakers.com

So, anyone with a good idea and some money can get their music out there. and downloading seems to be another way to do it. And I really don't have the time to go into other 'corporate' things that are being done to promote music. But I should mention, things that were once 'taboo' like product placement, brand association, and other media cross-overs are now very common. If you can reach a wider audience - or pinpoint a certain demographic because your song was used in a Target commercial or featured on the O.C. - I guess it wouldn't hurt...

Anyway, back to downloading. In a business sense, its good. Theoretically, you are always 'in stock'; you will never run out of product, and your product is available 24-7-365... Also, when you posess the item, you can do pretty much what you want with it (fair use). Listen to it on your computer; load it into your portable player (iPod, etc); burn it onto CD to listen to in your car; heck, if you are so inclined, make a cassette of it for your car; And, for someone like myself there are places that will cut dubplates (acetates) from your digital media!

And in going in the direction where J was going, with the distribution of song files... It is possible to get your music out there without the use of major labels. I could probably sit down with my cowboy hat and acoustic guitar and record a beautiful song. Setup my own homepage and include links to iTunes and CDbaby. But, for the most part, the track will get lost with the other cowboy hat wearing acoustic guitar slinging beautful songsters. That makes the point of the wheat/chaff analogy. You will have to go through a lot more chaff to get to that more elusive piece of good wheat.

Now that is the more legal side of things. With the fluid nature of digital media, it is easier to trade and share. Previously, when you made a cassette copy of another cassette or LP you always had a generation loss and the copy was 'less' than the original. Now with digital files, you have an exact duplicate. To me, this is where the RIAA, ASCAP, and the major labels have a problem. Shure, I got a copy of a particuar release from a friend. You know, the 'Hey, you've got to hear this' senario... Eventually, I will buy a legitamite copy. I am a fan of 'the complete package' I like liner notes and good artwork. Apparantly, there is a generation that could care less... As long as they have the latest track, it doesn't matter where they get it. Also, in the file sharing scheme (as with any other type of under the table transactions); you may not know what you are getting. files could be pourposely mis-named (that wasn't the ' rare' Nirvana track I thought I downloaded!) or could potentially hide a virus.

To see a unique example of this to to http://www.evolution-control.com/

Go to their culture jamming section and read about 'Napster Nuggets' and 'Napster Bombs'. To me it was a real eye opener...

Anyway, yes the times are changing... And even though its still in its infancy, this digital media thing is a reality. Many new artists find it essential to 'throw a bone' out there with a free song to entice you to buy their up and coming CD or go to a show. I can make a backup or 'working copy' of a release that is just as good as the original. And you can distribute information without the need of a corporate entity.

But, I am a holdout. I am embracing the vinyl as long as its available. I like the physical nature, the performance capabilities, and the visual impact of putting needle to a groove. Think about it, when you see a DJ depicted in a movie, on TV, or even on a cartoon, they are seen as turntablists (to make the difference between a turntablist and a DJ - that is a whole other topic, I'll stop here). And just to think, I wrote a letter to The Day last year or so in defense of the '45. I remember there was a pro-vinyl piece that had something that wasn't quite accurate (IMHO) about 45's. Yes, major current hits are still pressed on 45. And 45's are still used as a means for indie bands to get their music out there. And yes, 'split' singles rock!

But, in a 'live DJ' setting I have been considering portable digital media. Personally in this setting, a memory card system would make sense. To have your best jazz tracks for dinner music on one card would be great. Also to be 'on location' would be great. Go go right up to the cake and play 'The Bride Cuts The Cake' right there would make a wonderful, more personal touch. And lastly, for the stompers; to have your Electric Slide, Chicken Dance, or any other song where people would get animated is one heck of an idea. You don't want to spoil the party because someone hit your table and made your hard drive crash...

Just my .02...

Steve

Oh, for more info on dubplates and '45s check out.

www.fasthits.com
www.turnstylerecords.com

Oh, and we can't forget...
www.finalscratch.com

use your turntables to play MP3...

quote:
Originally posted by ONLYONE J
Cool I have a piece that will be in the New London Day tommorow(thurs 16th march) regarding changes in media with a nod to www.downhillbattle.org.
My company ctdjcompany.com is about to become very active with this topic.
If you would like to contribute email me or goto the battle site.-peace
Post Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:14 am